Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Documentation on Studio 66-70 series

Thanks

Hendrix Collector's 1964 - 1970 - Documentation and Links

Hendrix Collector 1964 - 1970

Hendrix Collector's 1964 - 1966 (version December 2017)
    Hendrix Collector's 1964 - 1966 (version December 2017), PDF (Mega) (1.8 MB)
    Hendrix Collector's 1964 - 1966 (version December 2017), Part 1/3 (Mega) (1.39 GB, 90 sound files; tracks 001 - 090)
    Hendrix Collector's 1964 - 1966 (version December 2017), Part 2/3 (Mega) (1.34 GB, 70 sound files; tracks 091 - 160)
    Hendrix Collector's 1964 - 1966 (version December 2017), Part 3/3 (Mega) (1.34 GB, ? sound files; tracks 161 - end)
    Note! The 2018-10-26 release Suey / I Need You Every Day tracks will have to be added after their release.

Hendrix Collector's 1967 (version ??)

Hendrix Collector's 1968 (version June 2015)
    Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016), PDF (Mega) (934 KB)
    Hendrix Collector's 1968 (version June 2015), Part 1/3 (Mega) (3.50 GB, ? sound files; tracks ? - ?)
    Hendrix Collector's 1968 (version June 2015), Part 2/3 (Mega) (3.50 GB, ? sound files; tracks ? - ?)
    Hendrix Collector's 1968 (version June 2015), Part 3/3 (Mega) (2.51 GB, ? sound files; tracks ? - ?)

Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016)
    Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016), PDF (Mega) (1.5 MB)
    Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016), Part 1/4 (Mega) (3.9 GB, 120 sound files: tracks 001 - 120)
    Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016), Part 2/4 (Mega) (3.8 GB, 102 sound files: tracks 121 - 222)
    Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016), Part 3/4 (Mega) (3.9 GB, 138 sound files: tracks 223 - 360)
    Hendrix Collector's 1969 (version June 2016), Part 4/4 (Mega) (3.8 GB, 177 sound files: tracks 361 - 502, plus C01 - C30)

Hendrix Collector's 1970 (version March 2017)
    Hendrix Collector's 1970 (March 2017), PDF (Mega) (1.8 MB)
    Hendrix Collector's 1970 (March 2017), Part 1/3 (Mega) (3.15 GB, 88 sound files: tracks 001 - 085)
    Hendrix Collector's 1970 (March 2017), Part 2/3 (Mega) (3.16 GB, 155 sound files: tracks 086 - 240)
    Hendrix Collector's 1970 (March 2017), Part 3/3 (Mega) (3.27 GB, 176 sound files: tracks 241 - 375, plus C01 - C41)

After having been away from collecting and sharing for some years it was to be expected there were going to be updates on the Studio 66-70 series. What I didn't expect was that trying to find out the differences would be such a pain. I have seen different updates, some short explanations on the differences compared to a previous one but the versions were not marked and the notes were clearly incorrect (pointing to tracks that had different titles, etc.).

I recently got a PDF for the Studio 70 version of March 2017 (excellent, even references a Revision A version!) and the mega links for a download but I will have to check whether the PDF and the files are of the same version. If so, I hope the owner of the mega account could rename the files so the version is clear.

I also received something called The Extra Stuff, which is a collection that will take some time to figure out what is what. Studio 67 Highlights 2nd edit 2006-04-15. Singing the Blues in NYC has clear info. WillJamz Original Edits For 1969 but no version, only a few notes like "Source: Tracks 109 and 110 of Studio 69" again without version. AstroMan's Alternate Mixes Upgrades Expanded but also without versions and no notes at all.

Do people know where to find all the latest versions of the sets? Only then we can all delete all the older versions and stop worrying about being complete or not. Also, I could free up 30 GB of possible duplicates...

I hope that for future versions, the PDFs and file sets will include the version!

So, I hope this thread will become a collection of links to the latest versions of the Studio series. And to avoid confusion, maybe someone can delete the torrent threads that are outdated?

Thanks!
    Jerry
    Last edited by jerry1970; 09-13-18 at 12:14 PM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: Documentation on Studio 66-70 series

The Collector's 1970 set that you link to is the latest (and only) version. There may be a Revision A at some point in the future...if I can make it through this 1967 set, which I hope to finish by Christmas, but with nearly 660 tracks identified I still have quite a bit of work to do before it's finished. When it is it will be announced and linked at JPIO.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dajchance For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.Lucas View Post
    I found them all over at JPIO..use the message search to find them

Here's the '69 set:

Hendrix Collector's 1969(2016) set
    https://mega.nz/#!mxpwCCQQ!AYhTAi58L...iwbugZM3mEJmqo
    https://mega.nz/#!2tBSyZDR!pB4U9yxc6...PWInRbbZn5mehs
    https://mega.nz/#!2tBSyZDR!pB4U9yxc6...PWInRbbZn5mehs
    https://mega.nz/#!isQFUaJJ!MxCK6bz1t...HMgDcu96UZtnuQ
    Thanks to Emil Vukov for uploading to Mega
    and many Thanks to Dachance for putting these all together
    ---
    Collector's 1969 .PDF(2015)
    https://mega.nz/#!aJM2FbAb!8KTvyZJyD...0Ma0UcgLcLgGwc
    --
    not sure if I should upload the 'Collector's 1968 set tho'...it was pulled for some corrections as I recall.
    here's the Collector's 1968 .PDF:
    https://mega.nz/#!DEsinYxT!B3D72MWZK...CO2zA8Ia2lgmhA

and the new Collector's 1964 - 1966 set .PDF(2017)
    https://mega.nz/#!HJFCCaxB!z2e-sE9W1...iqxEaUnj5lAFaI
    Thanks very much for these links! One problem though. What should be disc three is the second disc repeated.

Thanks

Can you elaborate a bit more....I don't see what you mean in the .PDF files for any of the 68/69 or the 64-66 set.
    The second and third link are the same, they both point to part 2.

Thanks

Oh wow....thanks for letting me know...
    it's been corrected...3rd link is now posted correctly
    I am still only getting JH69-2.rar with both 2nd and 3rd link,as grateful as I am!

Thanks

This is part 3...I corrected it in my original post....I can't do anything about the comment posts that /quoted' my links.

https://mega.nz/#!CkZGQTRJ!K03s3RHe8...mCP1OUT80YyDyI
    Ah, sorry, what an idiot I am - apologies!

Thanks

I found them all over at JPIO..use the message search to find them
    Collector's 1969 .PDF(2015)
    https://mega.nz/#!aJM2FbAb!8KTvyZJyD...0Ma0UcgLcLgGwc
    The PDF is the June 2016 version.

Thanks

I've updated the original post with the links so it's easier for people to find.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So the 68' and the 64' to 66' clearly exist given the PDFs.. are we just waiting on someone to post the links?

This is really an incredible piece of work, and does away with much of the random, undocumented, or incorrectly documented fragments found across this site.
    Is the microphone on?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to spyder52 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the links!!!

Now only the latest version of 1967... I have a version with file dates 2009 so the download must have been before that. 111 tracks plus a few alternative versions marked as Willjamz edits. A DOC was included titled "Studio '67 Disc Sequence.doc".
    Ooh, document properties say "Created: 11-04-2006" (that's 11 April, not 4 Nov) so I think it's safe to say that what I have is version April 2006. Wondering how many updates have followed...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Do not confuse the "Studio" series with the "Collector's" series. The latter is much more thorough and up to date thanks to David's meticulous mammoth effort!

One would seriously have to do more detailed provenance checking for these sets to make them really lasting, #1 go-to sources. As it stands about 20% of the tracks come from lossy sources, and that is not counting those for which only lossy sources exist (rockband moggs). Using TLH etc. is just not reliable enough. I tried to locate upgrades for the 1970 set but lost interest along the way. That is simply not a good one man job, but would be much better suited to a community effort. I'm sure there's interest around here. We can't expect David to do it all by himself...

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan1995 View Post
    Do not confuse the "Studio" series with the "Collector's" series. The latter is much more thorough and up to date thanks to David's meticulous mammoth effort!

One would seriously have to do more detailed provenance checking for these sets to make them really lasting, #1 go-to sources. As it stands about 20% of the tracks come from lossy sources, and that is not counting those for which only lossy sources exist (rockband moggs). Using TLH etc. is just not reliable enough. I tried to locate upgrades for the 1970 set but lost interest along the way. That is simply not a good one man job, but would be much better suited to a community effort. I'm sure there's interest around here. We can't expect David to do it all by himself...
    So the series was renamed to distinguish the first from the latter. Makes sense.

Maybe we should have a place with the proper documentation first (wiki-style) and work from there? But that would also have to account for different versions so one would know which tracks to replace.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

As far as I know, both series are not really related and evolved independently.

A wiki is tempting because it is accessible to everyone, but I think a shared database would be more effective, faster to set up, easier to maintain in the long run and it simply scales better. If you have a database you can query it, and use it directly to build the set.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Correct. The "Studio 'XX" series was compiled by WillJamz. I started "The Collector's" series when there was no "Studio '68" set yet available...WillJamz released Studio '68 while I was working on The Collector's 1968, which, BTW, is in serious need of revision...perhaps sometime late next year I'll get around to that, after I compile the "Unfinished, Fakes & Frauds" set which will follow The Collector's 1967 set...which I hope to finish by Christmas, but we'll see...660 tracks on 31 discs and I still need to carefully go through each one.

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dajchance For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A wiki is tempting because it is accessible to everyone, but I think a shared database would be more effective, faster to set up, easier to maintain in the long run and it simply scales better. If you have a database you can query it, and use it directly to build the set.
    I am working on a database but finding the right structure is tough. What I have now is recording-based, so date (can be partial or unknown), place, and if known the order of the recording for the session. Then there are releases, which combine some release info (title, label, etc.) with recordings that are on it.

Everything can have zero or more references to documentation. Recordings can have JP and UV numbers.

All entries can have a references to other entries: a know recording can be an incomplete version of another. But also, one recording can be updated by new information and point to an updated version. The old and new versions remain in the database, so there the historical information is available.

The references to documentation can also have updates. So the database can accomodate for re-numbered sources: the source remains the same, the reference changed.

This can be accessed from two points of view: recordings (chronological list) and releases. The chronological list shows all recordings. This will include all versions of recordings (the incomplete ones, the updated ones, remixes) but those can be filtered from the list so only one version of a recording is visible. For every item the cross-references to releases are shown. The releases view shows releases with the recordings on them.

I am testing this so nothing to show yet. I must be sure to accomodate for all types of data changes and links between sources, etc. Like the Studio XX and The Collector's XX series. Collected from different releases, I need to find out whether the database structure can hold all info we want available.

I have selected the Studio 66 and the Hendrix (ie. non-guest musician) part of the The Collectors 64-66 sets (which include different versions, mixes, updated info) and a few live recordings that have different sources, including one that has the sources renumbered in one of the books. If that data fits into the database, I think the structure will suffice.

After that I am wondering how much of all the external sources (JP, UV) we would be allowed to put into that database before someone calls it an infiringement of copyright.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dajchance View Post
    Correct. The "Studio 'XX" series was compiled by WillJamz. I started "The Collector's" series when there was no "Studio '68" set yet available...WillJamz released Studio '68 while I was working on The Collector's 1968, which, BTW, is in serious need of revision...perhaps sometime late next year I'll get around to that, after I compile the "Unfinished, Fakes & Frauds" set which will follow The Collector's 1967 set...which I hope to finish by Christmas, but we'll see...660 tracks on 31 discs and I still need to carefully go through each one.
    How do you have your data stored now? Would others be able to help?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That sounds very good! So far I can only say kudos to you! I haven't made up my mind how such a database would need to be structured to be effective.

Thanks

That sounds very good! So far I can only say kudos to you! I haven't made up my mind how such a database would need to be structured to be effective.
    Cheers! I am still working out the last details though. I thought it was a good idea to pick a few items (recordings and releases) with varying types of info, updated or even contradicting info. If I can add that to the database, I think the structure will work.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to jerry1970 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerry1970 View Post
    How do you have your data stored now? Would others be able to help?
    Thanks for the offer Jerry, sincerely...but attempting to explain the processes in my head that I use for checking & clarifying things would be a project itself. :-)
    I have the tracks stored on a portable hard drive which I also back up fairly regularly. I have the documentation for the set on a USB which I also back up almost daily.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dajchance For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dajchance View Post
    Thanks for the offer Jerry, sincerely...but attempting to explain the processes in my head that I use for checking & clarifying things would be a project itself. :-)
    I have the tracks stored on a portable hard drive which I also back up fairly regularly. I have the documentation for the set on a USB which I also back up almost daily.
    What he was asking is, I think, if you directly edit the long .DOC file or if you store each entry in an intermediate, machine-readable format (ie. a database, a table) from which you then generate the long .DOC file.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post: