Thread: Somewhere - Making Sense of the various drum overdubs...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,148 Times in 353 Posts

Somewhere - Making Sense of the various drum overdubs...

So anyway, the other night I was doing a comparison of the various versions of Somewhere...because I wanted to try and work out which drum overdub was which and by who...
    The notes that came with ATM 238, for example, are rather sketchy, and the strange thing is, one of the tracks they refer to as a 1971 Mitch Mitchell overdub, well I not sure what is going on with it, because it contains some of the original drums from the "heavy echo version" which is believed to be the Buddy Miles original.

Mitch's 1971 drums officially available on the Purple Box are very different to the version on ATM 238 - 07 Somewhere (2) echo (nominated as possible 1971 OD in ATM notes) and after repeated scanning of the wave forms...contains some of the exact same drums as the heavy echo version. Some but not all...Perhaps Mitch just punched in where necessary? Which could have been contemporaneous...As he did the now official version in 1971 in a very different style, I don't know whether he might have had a go "cleaning up" some of Buddy's work, befire electing to completely overdub again. I guess we won't know...but it would also be strange that one drummer would punch in on another drummers track...
    I guess one of my questions is whether the 3:20 version of Somewhere is all Buddy - maybe he overdubbed his own drums?
    I have attached an mp3 with the "heavy echo" version in the left channel, and the shorter 3:20 version in the right channel - and while most of the verse drums are different there are sections that I believe are surely Buddy. Also the style sounds consistent with the "original" version. I say "original" because the "heavy echo" one appeared with the Sotheby Auction Tapes of contemporaneous (late 67/early 68) mixes. I had a listen to the PH&A "Frankenstein" version and the drums of that take (Buddy) are obviously similar in style to the "heavy echo" version on ATM238 "08 Somewhere (1) heavy echo vocal".

The linked file is just for research purposes...
    https://mega.nz/#!UslGFIZT!BHbfJb5wI...NcHWXwLqWds6es

I am probably not telling anyone anything new here, but I haven't seen any conclusive evidence of which drum overdub is which, which is why I bring it up...and I would have liked to have seen the original with perhaps non-echo vocals on the ELL box...but it was not to be.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 Times in 606 Posts

Re: Somewhere - Making Sense of the various drum overdubs...

Have not studied this is the same detail you have.
    But I don't recall Mitch's 1971 overdub containing any of Buddy's original drums, as featured on the "echoey" bootleg take.
    Maybe Mitch just followed Buddy's drums in his cans where he could,

When Alan Schwartzberg did the overdub for the Crash Landing version, they worked for the tape containing Mitch's 1971 overdub.

Either way, Mitch did the worst job of all three drummers. His part is absolutely terrible.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I agree. The original drums track (not just the same notes) plays on your sync at 0:47-1:07 and 1:28-2:22. Some extra drum notes seem to be overdubbed on top of these sections (eg. at 2:12).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hendrixfan1995 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hendrixfan1995 View Post
    I agree. The original drums track (not just the same notes) plays on your sync at 0:47-1:07 and 1:28-2:22. Some extra drum notes seem to be overdubbed on top of these sections (eg. at 2:12).
    Glad you agree! They are just too in-sync to not be. But who did them? Now that's the question...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dino77 View Post
    Have not studied this is the same detail you have.
    But I don't recall Mitch's 1971 overdub containing any of Buddy's original drums, as featured on the "echoey" bootleg take.
    Maybe Mitch just followed Buddy's drums in his cans where he could,

When Alan Schwartzberg did the overdub for the Crash Landing version, they worked for the tape containing Mitch's 1971 overdub.

Either way, Mitch did the worst job of all three drummers. His part is absolutely terrible.
    Some of the 3:20 version drums are absolutely one and the same as the heavy echo one, absolutely in sync...which is weird - but only some passages...most of the verses seem redone. Agree with the Mitch assessment too - I don't care for most of his 1971 overdubs personally.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkydrummer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by funkydrummer View Post
    Agree with the Mitch assessment too - I don't care for most of his 1971 overdubs personally.
    His overdub on "Stepping Stone" is an absolute travesty - was he even playing the same song?

EH dates that overdub as June 1970, but I don't believe them.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Former Lee Warmer For This Useful Post: